Thursday, January 22, 2009

BANG #2 - bugging out.


"Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home

Your house is on fire and your children are gone

All except one, and that's Little Anne

For she has crept under the warming pan."


Quite possibly the most charming insects ever - the ladybug can bring new life to a dying garden.

Last year I was plagued with aphids in my garden. I had bought two burning bushes for my front yard the fall before, excited to have the bright red leaves bring drama and beauty to my yard the next year. Unfortunately I miss interpreted an aphid infestion in Spring last year and my poor burning bushes paid the price.


By June the leaves were getting eaten away, and nearby roses started showing signs of unwelcome munchers too. When all the trees in my neighborhood were turning fiery autumn colors my burning bushes looked like they were burnt. Most the leaves were gone, and the sad spikes of the bushes arms were bare and lonely. It was the saddest sight.


So this year, as part of my BANG initiative (Be A Natural Gardener), I'm bringing in reinforcements! Ladybugs may be portrayed as sweet English ladies in cartoons (I always picture the one from "James and the Giant Peach"), but trust me they are lethal aphid killers! And as a natural and eco-friendly option to pesticide, ladybugs are a welcome addition to my garden plan.
As an extra bonus, I grew up believing that when a ladybug lands on you it'll bring you good luck. Bringing a batch of ladybugs into your garden will definitely up the odds for a lucky 2009!

No comments:


Hummingbird in Napa, CA