Thursday, January 8, 2009

Start the year off with a BANG!

I've decided to put my money where my mouth is this year and help my little corner of the planet thrive. This is the year I'm going to Be A Natural Gardener.

BANG - is a new idea I've had, yet an old idea to many conservationists. Being a Natural Gardener is recycling, reusing, reducing, reimagining, recreating. It's using ordinary objects in extraordinary ways and rethinking the part you play in the environment around you. It can be personal & political, local & global, absolutely practical & totally crazy. It's the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle for your backyard.

I can't wait to start BANGing out the old and unnecessary in my life, and as Lau-tzu says "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

So here's BANG Step 1.

START COLLECTING RAINFALL.
My best friend started using a rain barrel last year, and the water she's saved for watering her backyard garden has been incredible! During a heavy rain her barrel would fill up in just minutes, as the rain falling on the entire area of her roof would get funneled down drains and downspouts. Only about 1/4 inch of rainfall can be collected to a little over 200 gallons of water! Not too shabby! Bonus: rain water is soft water. Soft water is the best for plants, as the oxygen levels are better and there's no chlorine or other nasty chemicals necessary in tap/drinking water. For an HGTV how-to check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFDlkJOdaM

In this time of economic topsy-turvy it's only fitting to really consider what you're putting your time/money/energy into and if it's paying off in the fullest way environmentally, morally, ethically, and especially FINANCIALLY. It's never been trendier to be a spendthrift (Suze Orman tells me this all the time) so I'm cutting back and cutting out the things that are wasting my resources.

If you want to try to BANG, I lend you my full support. Check back here for more ideas on how to BANG, and use BANG as a special savings code (1/2 off shipping) on your next SweetBeak.com order!

No comments:


Hummingbird in Napa, CA